Saturday, April 2, 2011

Friday Night Lights

The Corner
My life's current version of Friday Night Lights - an evening sitting at a cafe in St. Germain des Pres, people watching.  Particularly on the corner of Rue Dauphine and Rue Mazarine (cliche, I know....but half the fun is disguising myself as a Parisian....navy blue shorts, black tights, a blazer, ballet flats or short boots, sunglasses...even after dark...growing out my highlights, un petite makeup, looking very aloof, and most importantly never, ever cracking a smile at a stranger... it's an acquired skill and a work in progress).  It's quite pricey on this little corner because Paris knows her value, but for this first class seat I think it's a steal.  A pichet of St. Tropez Cotes du Provence and the seat is yours for hours.  

Prescription, 23 Rue Mazarine
After a good hour or two of people watching, we made our way down Rue Mazarine to a tres chic speakeasy (not as authentic or exclusive as the uber trendy speakeasys in New York (where prohibition actually existed) but cool Parisian chic nonetheless).  The place is called Prescription and they make some of the best cocktails I've had in Paris.  I had the Florida Tarragon... the description was in French but right when I saw the word pamplemousse (grapefruit) I knew it was the winner.

Ok well it is a high of 73 degrees in Paris today and I am finished with my coffee so it is time to hit the town.  After a bad trip to Porte de Vanves last weekend I have decided to forge Saint-Ouen (remember, the biggest flea market in the world?).  Hopefully I will have at least one or two treasures to share on Sunday.

Happy Saturday!

No comments: