Sunday, May 1, 2011

Happy May Day


All over the city on this beautiful sunny Sunday, Parisians are carrying around bouquets of mugeut (also known as lily of the valley).  Peeping out of purses, adorning front pockets and lying inside every grocery bag, you will find bouquets of fragrant mugeut to celebrate Spring. 

The story goes that King Charles IX received a lily of the valley as a lucky charm on May 1st and then offered it to the ladies of the court every year after.  Today in France, it is custom to give a sprig of lily of the valley as a symbol of springtime.  (And apparently, it is also traditional for the lady receiving the spray of lily of valley to give a kiss in return). 


In other news this weekend, the Mr. and I found a new restaurant we loved in the 7th called Cafe Constant.  The restaurant is in Rue Cler (one of our favorite neighborhoods that sits under the Eiffel Tower).  Small and charming with delicious daily specials scratched onto chalkboards adorning the the walls, it is a great Parisian cafe with many of the traditional French menu favorites and a great wine list.  (I should add, we didn't actually find Cafe Constant. What we found was Paris by Mouth, a fabulous blog with the best restaurant recommendations for those of us that can't dine at Le Cinq on a weekly basis {or really ever for that matter}).

Mr. Constant, the owner and chef, has another restaurant, Les Cocotte, a few doors down. Everything is served in a Staub cocottes (casseroles).  Can't wait to try!

And.... I saved the best for last. The newest addition to 26 Rue.
 

And new love of my life.


She is the first thing I see when I wake up every morning.


And when I come home everyday. 

What would we do without the little things in life?


I say little.  It took me forever to decide what to plant in this thing.  Geraniums were a given.  But did I want just geraniums or did I want ivy? Red geraniums? Yes definitely red. But did I want herbs? No herbs... stick with aesthetic.  And then there was a whole week on the many different kinds of ivy.  English ivy? Climbing ivy? Jasmine ivy? What, there is geranium ivy? Oh and then I saw the wisteria in Loire, hello, definitely need wisteria.  But then there was the whole light thing.  How much light do all of these things require? Do we get afternoon light or morning light?

So I decided to get some inspiration around town.










Then it finally dawned on me. 





Boxwoods....what else?





Now, on to curtains....

I hope you had a great weekend.  Happy May Day! Treat yourself to a bouquet of lily of the valley.

No comments: