Saturday, February 11, 2012

Fashion Week Update

Image via
As much as I love fashion week in Paris, the beautiful tented fairs in the Tuileries garden and the stunning showrooms of Lanvin, Chloe etc..., there is just something about Milan.  The jovial attitude of Italians, the compact layout of the city, and (obviously) the to die for food make for a very enjoyable fashion week here in Milan.

Image via
The Mr. came over to spend a few days with me (and upcoming Valentines, of course!) and we have absolutely fallen in love with this charming Italian city.  I've tried to capitalize every moment that I have outside the showroom to really get to know this city.


Lots of people have asked me what I actually do and how I got involved in this.  So here are the quick details:  I work for a company out of Kuwait.  They basically own a mall like Phipps plaza in Atlanta.  They have a high end department store and lots of stand alone brands as well.  For example, they have a Balenciaga monobrand, a Lanvin monobrand, and a Stella McCartney monobrand, just to name a few.  They also have stores with more contemporary wear (that I would compare to a store like Cusp in the US).  Here you find brands like Milly, Tibi, See by Chloe, Marc by Marc etc...When they initially hired me, they were in the process of hiring full time buyers at the family run company and needed an English speaking assistant to work with them in their restructuring period.  Four seasons later, I'm still working with them and happy to be a part of this thriving fashion company.  (And just wish I could manage to make myself look half as pulled together and beautiful as this supermodel I found on pinterest). 


One of the reasons this trip has been so much fun is because I am working for a different part of the company and now buying for the contemporary brands (versus the haute couture I was working with previously).  It's been a nice change of pace and I love spending the day shopping brands like Milly and Tibi.  Oh!! and we are buying some men's wear now too and the male models are incredible.  Like Zoolandar style.  Dead serious.


Needless to say, the shoe shopping in Milan is beyond my wildest dreams.  I could spend every single free moment perusing these leather candy stores.  In my opinion, Milan blows Paris out of the water in terms of shopping.  Everything is centrally located and easy to navigate and the stores have much bigger selections.  (I was blown away by how much bigger and better the Celine on Via Montenapoleone was than the Celine flagship in Paris).

So, that is about it for now.  I have the day off today and am off to do some eating and exploring.  Ciao!

No comments: