Saturday, January 22, 2011

Winter Soldes (Sales)

 And then there was shopping.... 

Because this was the last week of the winter sales in Paris, I felt it was my duty as a responsible wife to take advantage of the low prices (sales happen only twice a year in Paris, January and July).  Let's just say, I was VERY responsible....  



After a lot of field work, three designers stood out as the best:  Maje, Ba&sh, and Sandro.  I started my fashion hunt at oldest department store in Paris, Le Bon Marche, which also houses one of the best gourmet food stores in Paris, La Grande Epicerie (another story...check to the food page soon).  This is where I discovered Maje.  (I actually didn't "discover" Maje at LBM, I have been peeking into the window at their boutique store across the street from my laundry mat for the past two weeks.  However, seeing that I look like a homeless person when I do laundry pulling a grocery cart full of dirty clothes, I thought it would be best to keep doing laundry seperate from shopping excursions.)   ANYWAY, Maje certainly did not disappoint.  I found the most perfect military jacket that I have been searching for for the past two years.  The Mr. calls it my Janet Jackson coat.. this coming the guy that still wears his LL Bean pull over from Freshman year of college.  I am still in love. (with the jacket... ((and the Mr.)).


Next I took the metro over to Printemp, a smaller department store across the street from Galleries Lafayette.  This is where I discovered Ba&sh.  Another fantastic French designer.  Needless to say, I continued to be a very responsible wife here too. 


And last, but certainly not least, came Sandro.  Sandro was the best.  The best clothes, the best sizes, the best of the best.  I was at the peak of my shopping high after leaving Sandro (think high wasted skirts and button detailed silk blouses).  And then it happened.... there I was, sitting on the metro heading home feeling so proud of myself.  I had battled the masses, gone to multiple department stores, seen everything and made well informed purchases.  And then I started texting.  Before a knew it I had missed my metro stop.  Startled, I jumped up and rushed off the train .... without Sandro.  I made it up a few steps before I realized the bags weren't as heavy as they were before... and then it hit me. The agony. The defeat.  I would never see that bag of brand new perfect french designer clothes ever again.  Not my best moment as a Mrs. in Paris. Luckily for me, I am married to a wonderful Mr.  who spent the rest of the evening trying to cheer me up.  He reminded me that in the end, they are just clothes.  Far worse things happened to people.  Will I go back and try to rebuy the treasures that I lost? Probably not.  Will I ever leave something on a metro again? Probably so.  Did it remind me how lucky I am to have such a great Mr.? Most definitely.  So, I guess the moral of the story is that clothes are just clothes and they are replaceable, but having someone to help you through ups and downs of life, no matter how big or small, now that is irreplaceable.

No comments: