Sunday, June 26, 2011

New Orleans Toile

I am so excited to be back at 26 Rue.

First, the Mr. did a fabulous job watering the geraniums.  They are looking better than ever.  Très fiers.


Moving on to the even bigger news, we finally have curtains!! And not just any curtains, beautiful New Orleans toile curtains from my tres chic international interior decorator (aka my mother-in-law).  I am totally obsessed with them and cannot get over the fact of how something as simple as hanging curtains can completely transform a space.



Lots of labors of love went into getting these suckers across the pond, might I add.  Michele spotted them in New Orleans and knew they would be perfect, my friend Bebe's parents gave them a ride to Birmingham where Bebe stored them for a few weeks and finally, I picked them up and packed all 50 pounds of them in my large suitcase back to Paris.  It's tiring just thinking about it.

But nevertheless, totally worth it. I especially love the valence with the blue and brown trim and french pleats. 




I didn't know this until I moved here, but toile is actually short for "toile de Jouy" which originated in France in the 18th century. The Mr.'s school, HEC, is actually in Jouy, the very town where toile originated.  (Toile is a type of decorating pattern consisting of a pattern depicting a pastoral theme such as a couple having a picnic by a lake...according to wikipedia). So I especially love that the curtains are New Orleans toile and hence depict scenes from New Orleans.

The pattern is a design from Hazelnut, a great interiors store on Magazine.


It looks like this up close.


I am working on finding a little table to go under the paintings to the right of the window.  I am 90% ready to take pictures of the pad for the whole blog world to see.... but am having anxiety about it.  First, as you can see from the curtains picture above, I am terrible at taking pictures of interiors.  Second, it is going to take some serious effort to hide all of our every day life clutter to get this place camera ready... soon though, I promise.
  

No comments: